Supportive Government Policies
Sri Lanka pioneered South Asia’s economic liberalization over three decades ago. Liberalizing many areas of the economy, the government has created a policy environment that is undoubtedly compelling towards international investment.
The following transparent investment laws aim to foster foreign direct investments:
- Total foreign ownership is permitted across almost all areas of the economy.
- Unrestricted repatriation of earnings, fees and capital
- Safety of foreign investment is guaranteed by the constitution.
- Bilateral investment protection agreements with 28 countries
- Double taxation avoidance agreements with 38 countries
Sri Lanka possesses a transparent and sophisticated legal and regulatory framework covers all prerequisite business law enactments and is a founder member of the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); an investment guarantee agency of the World Bank. This provides a safeguard against expropriation and non-commercial risks.